Archive | SharePoint Lists & Libraries RSS for this section

Status list webpart continues to load…

Recently I was with a client and encountered some very interesting behaviour on one of their SharePoint 2010 sites.

Lets assume you have a list containing data and a status list which visualizes some of the data of the list in form of an graphical KPI, now you place a status list webpart on one of you pages displaying the information from your status list… everything works just fine. Unfortunately clients don’t call me in to show me how fine things are working…My client wanted to place a second (and even more) status list webparts on the same page and here is what they experienced:

image

The webpart which was placed last on the page will continue to show you the status bar instead of your beloved KPI.

After some investigation I found that my client was running on the December 2011 CU:

image

I reproduced this issue on my local environment after putting the February 2012 CU on the issue was fixed (I put February on on purpose to see how far back this issue has been fixed…)

image

image

Advertisements

Good2Know: Merge Terms…What does it do?

Today I played around with the SharePoint2010 managed metadata termstore and especially with the “merge terms” functionality.

What did I do:

1. I have created a termset “TestTermSet” (I know I am so creative when it comes down to names)

2.I have created Terms (Term1-Term4) within the termset

3. I have created a list “TermsTest” and added two managed metadata columns to it.

4 I have created two entries in that list (Test1 – Term2, Term3 / Tes3 – Term4)

I ran the following PowerShell to get me the IDs of the existing terms:

$taxsession = Get-SPTaxonomySession -Site http://yoururl
$termstore = $taxsession.termstores[“SharePoint – MMS”]
$testgroup =$termstore.groups[“Tests”]
$termset =$testgroup.termsets[“TestTermSet”]
foreach ($term in $termset.terms) {
   
    Write-Host $term.name “-“$term.id
}

 

The output was:

Term1 – 1280d6f8-3db8-42ec-87be-2ab9389e8d13
Term2 – c3cb39a5-5fcb-4040-90c7-005eb34b53f1
Term3 – 01bb9ed6-08e5-43dd-be03-9bbd17a45fd2
Term4 – 8fe913ef-6879-4003-b0e5-82ad9a358dfb

Then I merged (using the UI on central administration) Term1 and Term4:

After running the script again I get this result:

Term2 – c3cb39a5-5fcb-4040-90c7-005eb34b53f1
Term3 – 01bb9ed6-08e5-43dd-be03-9bbd17a45fd2
Term4 – 8fe913ef-6879-4003-b0e5-82ad9a358dfb

So Term1 disappeared, Term4 kept its ID and when you look into the UI you see that Term1 has been added as an “Label” (synonym) to Term4

image

When you now check the list with the entries made you will still find Term1 as value of one of the columns.

When you now create a new entry in your list and you enter “Term1” SharePoint will autosuggest you “Term4”.

image

So from what I can see the “Merge term” functionality just adds a new label to an term and removes the term. And as so often in SharePoint values set previous to the merge will not be updated after a merge… Interesting